Collection › Synodical Conference Convention Proceedings (St. Louis, Missouri) › 1916 · 26th Convention, Toledo, Nummer 1 › Page 65
Synodical Conference Convention Proceedings St. Louis, Missouri — 1916, Page 65
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
Page 11
Page 12
Page 13
Page 14
Page 15
Page 16
Page 17
Page 18
Page 19
Page 20
Page 21
Page 22
Page 23
Page 24
Page 25
Page 26
Page 27
Page 28
Page 29
Page 30
Page 31
Page 32
Page 33
Page 34
Page 35
Page 36
Page 37
Page 38
Page 39
Page 40
Page 41
Page 42
Page 43
Page 44
Page 45
Page 46
Page 47
Page 48
Page 49
Page 50
Page 51
Page 52
Page 53
Page 54
Page 55
Page 56
Page 57
Page 58
Page 59
Page 60
Page 61
Page 62
Page 63
Page 64
Page 65
Page 66
Page 67
Page 68
Page 69
Page 70
Page 71
Page 72
Page 73
Page 74
Page 75
Page 76
Page 77
Page 78
Page 79
Page 80
Page 81
Page 82
Page 83
Page 84
Page 85
Page 86
Page 87
Page 88
Page 89
Page 90
Page 91
Page 92
Page 93
Page 94
Page 95
Page 96
Page 97
Page 98
Page 99
Page 100
Page 101
Page 102
Page 103
Page 104
Page 105
Page 106
Page 107
Page 108
Page 109
Page 110
Page 111
Page 112
HathiTrust, digitised from the Harvard (Andover-Harvard Theological Library) copy, hvd.ah3kct
⤓ Download page image (full resolution)
German transcription AI-corrected against the scan
der Ev.⸗Luth. Synodalkonferenz von Nordamerika. 1916. 65
Prof. Schlueter, and the undersigned — in their present affliction.
As you say, it is now out of the question to have the two committees
meet at Chicago June 20, as had been arranged. You can readily
understand, however, why the members of the Committee of the
Synodical Conference, who must report to their constituency at the
Convention at Toledo in August, should desire very much to have
a meeting with some representatives of the Norwegian Synod. Per-
haps the third member on your Synod's Committee, with two others
that might be appointed, might meet with our Committee, and make
a beginning at least of conferring with us. Do not misunderstand
me as if I were trying to take advantage of Dr. Stub's and Rev. Vangs-
ness's illness. Our committee will be willing to await the complete
recovery of Dr. Stub and Rev. Vangsness before reaching any de-
cision. The idea is merely to have a preliminary meeting, in order
that we may report to the Synodical Conference that the work en-
trusted to us has actually been begun. We feel that we must not
burden the minds of Dr. Stub and Rev. Vangsness at this moment
with the suggestion just made, and as you have acted as correspondent
for Dr. Stub, I communicate this suggestion to you, requesting you
to use your discretion in either communicating it to Dr. Stub or sub-
mitting it to some responsible parties in your Synod. — P. S. In case
the above suggestion meets with favor, either the last week in July
or the first week in August would be a convenient time for the
members of our committee to hold the conference at any place that
may be convenient to the members of your Synod's committee.”
Hierauf erhielt Ihr Komitee am 14. Juni folgende Antwort: “The
unlooked-for deaths of Rt. Rev. Vangsness and Rev. Thomas Nilssen,
and the serious turn my father's illness took, has prevented me
replying before. I spent most of last week at father's bedside. Your
suggestion that substitutes be appointed to take Vangsness's and
father's place on committee has received some consideration. I have
not, however, felt warranted in bringing this matter to father's
knowledge as yet. I know he is very anxious to meet with your
committee, and that it would cause him considerable anxiety, at
present, to know that others were on that committee. As there will
be little chance for him to meet with the ‘Church Council’ for a while,
it is not likely that any meeting of that body will be called. And it
is this body which originally appointed the members of our com-
mittee. And at all events I am quite confident that whatever sub-
stitutes might be elected would also like to know that they had the
confidence of the entire ‘Church Council.’ But father is improving.
We hope that next week he may be strong enough to undergo the
major operation. If, as we hope and pray, that is successful, he may
be able to take this and other matters under consideration. It would
seem to us that, when the facts of Vangsness's illness and death and
English translation AI translation
of the Ev. Luth. Synodical Conference of North America. 1916. 65
[Printed in English.]
Prof. Schlueter, and the undersigned — in their present affliction. As you say, it is now out of the question to have the two committees meet at Chicago June 20, as had been arranged. You can readily understand, however, why the members of the Committee of the Synodical Conference, who must report to their constituency at the Convention at Toledo in August, should desire very much to have a meeting with some representatives of the Norwegian Synod. Perhaps the third member on your Synod's Committee, with two others that might be appointed, might meet with our Committee, and make a beginning at least of conferring with us. Do not misunderstand me as if I were trying to take advantage of Dr. Stub's and Rev. Vangsness's illness. Our committee will be willing to await the complete recovery of Dr. Stub and Rev. Vangsness before reaching any decision. The idea is merely to have a preliminary meeting, in order that we may report to the Synodical Conference that the work entrusted to us has actually been begun. We feel that we must not burden the minds of Dr. Stub and Rev. Vangsness at this moment with the suggestion just made, and as you have acted as correspondent for Dr. Stub, I communicate this suggestion to you, requesting you to use your discretion in either communicating it to Dr. Stub or submitting it to some responsible parties in your Synod. — P. S. In case the above suggestion meets with favor, either the last week in July or the first week in August would be a convenient time for the members of our committee to hold the conference at any place that may be convenient to the members of your Synod's committee."
Thereupon your committee received the following answer on June 14: "The unlooked-for deaths of Rt. Rev. Vangsness and Rev. Thomas Nilssen, and the serious turn my father's illness took, has prevented me replying before. I spent most of last week at father's bedside. Your suggestion that substitutes be appointed to take Vangsness's and father's place on committee has received some consideration. I have not, however, felt warranted in bringing this matter to father's knowledge as yet. I know he is very anxious to meet with your committee, and that it would cause him considerable anxiety, at present, to know that others were on that committee. As there will be little chance for him to meet with the 'Church Council' for a while, it is not likely that any meeting of that body will be called. And it is this body which originally appointed the members of our committee. And at all events I am quite confident that whatever substitutes might be elected would also like to know that they had the confidence of the entire 'Church Council.' But father is improving. We hope that next week he may be strong enough to undergo the major operation. If, as we hope and pray, that is successful, he may be able to take this and other matters under consideration. It would seem to us that, when the facts of Vangsness's illness and death and