# Synodical Conference Convention Proceedings_St. Louis Missouri_1916_S65 # AI translation — CHI Digital Archive (demonstration) of the Ev. Luth. Synodical Conference of North America. 1916. 65 [Printed in English.] Prof. Schlueter, and the undersigned — in their present affliction. As you say, it is now out of the question to have the two committees meet at Chicago June 20, as had been arranged. You can readily understand, however, why the members of the Committee of the Synodical Conference, who must report to their constituency at the Convention at Toledo in August, should desire very much to have a meeting with some representatives of the Norwegian Synod. Perhaps the third member on your Synod's Committee, with two others that might be appointed, might meet with our Committee, and make a beginning at least of conferring with us. Do not misunderstand me as if I were trying to take advantage of Dr. Stub's and Rev. Vangsness's illness. Our committee will be willing to await the complete recovery of Dr. Stub and Rev. Vangsness before reaching any decision. The idea is merely to have a preliminary meeting, in order that we may report to the Synodical Conference that the work entrusted to us has actually been begun. We feel that we must not burden the minds of Dr. Stub and Rev. Vangsness at this moment with the suggestion just made, and as you have acted as correspondent for Dr. Stub, I communicate this suggestion to you, requesting you to use your discretion in either communicating it to Dr. Stub or submitting it to some responsible parties in your Synod. — P. S. In case the above suggestion meets with favor, either the last week in July or the first week in August would be a convenient time for the members of our committee to hold the conference at any place that may be convenient to the members of your Synod's committee." Thereupon your committee received the following answer on June 14: "The unlooked-for deaths of Rt. Rev. Vangsness and Rev. Thomas Nilssen, and the serious turn my father's illness took, has prevented me replying before. I spent most of last week at father's bedside. Your suggestion that substitutes be appointed to take Vangsness's and father's place on committee has received some consideration. I have not, however, felt warranted in bringing this matter to father's knowledge as yet. I know he is very anxious to meet with your committee, and that it would cause him considerable anxiety, at present, to know that others were on that committee. As there will be little chance for him to meet with the 'Church Council' for a while, it is not likely that any meeting of that body will be called. And it is this body which originally appointed the members of our committee. And at all events I am quite confident that whatever substitutes might be elected would also like to know that they had the confidence of the entire 'Church Council.' But father is improving. We hope that next week he may be strong enough to undergo the major operation. If, as we hope and pray, that is successful, he may be able to take this and other matters under consideration. It would seem to us that, when the facts of Vangsness's illness and death and