# Synodical Conference Convention Proceedings_St. Louis Missouri_1916_S64 # AI translation — CHI Digital Archive (demonstration) 64 Proceedings of the twenty-sixth convention to come if this should be more convenient for the Norwegian representatives. Dr. Stub replied on April 26: "It is impossible for me to have any negotiation before our synodical convention. I also know that it is not possible for President Vangsness. Before May 30 we could not at all. Our examination begins on May 1 and lasts until the evening of the 15th. On May 18 our synodical session begins and lasts until the 25th. On the 26th our so-called Calling Committee [*Berufungskomitee*] assembles. So we must wait until after June 11. I shall write at once to President Vangsness in Colton, S. Dak., and ask him whether he can perhaps come on June 15 or 16. On June 18 I must be present at a 50th-anniversary celebration of a congregation." Your committee replied on May 8 that it was willing to wait until after June 11, and asked for exact fixing of the time for the meeting in Chicago. On May 13 Dr. Stub then fixed June 20 as the time for the meeting in Chicago, and this determination was accepted by your committee on May 20. Then on May 25 the following letter arrived from Dr. Stub's son, Rev. J. A. O. Stub at Stoughton, Wis. [Printed in English.] "The ways of the Lord are certainly past our finding out. Rt. Rev. O. P. Vangsness of our synod came to the synod in Minneapolis, and was immediately taken to the hospital. He will have to remain there for several weeks. He has had to undergo one operation, and in all probability will have to have one more. For some time my father has not been in the best of health. He was unable to be present at the last days of the synod. While he was there, he was in agony, and became completely exhausted. Yesterday he was brought to the hospital. It is quite probable that a serious operation will have to be performed. At all events a man of his years and in his condition will be unable to do any work at all for many weeks. He is very much worried about a meeting which should have been held with members of the Synodical Conference June 20. It will be entirely out of the question for either him or Rt. Rev. Vangsness to attend that meeting. And at this time, and for some weeks to come, I am unable to say when it would be possible for either of them to attend any meetings at all. I am now sending this information to yourself, and a great many others with whom he had appointments. We are now canceling EVERYTHING up to July. But I am of the firm opinion that all this summer he will have to rest after having spent a number of weeks at the hospital. It is certainly strange that both Vangsness and father should become so ill at the same time. But we have left the entire matter in the hand of God. He will do what seemeth good in His eyes, and that is always best. Father wishes to send greetings. He is too weak to even write a letter." Thereupon your committee replied on May 27: "Be so kind as to express to Dr. Stub and to Rev. Vangsness the sympathy of the Synodical Conference Committee — Dr. Pieper,