# LCMS Convention Proceedings_St. Louis Missouri_1911_S124 # AI translation — CHI Digital Archive (demonstration) 124 Proceedings of the 28th General or 1. It was not possible to find a suitable man, and much less a suitable wife, for this very difficult post. 2. There is little mission material there. In fact, no more than 15 children can be found at all for our school; for in the first place not many Indian families live there, and besides, some families move to other reservations, stay there for extended periods, and often do not return for years, if at all. Pastor Larsen, who worked there with complete faithfulness for over two years, testifies that this place is entirely without prospect. 3. Staffing this post would cost $1500.00 to $2000.00 annually, and given the circumstances we did not consider it advisable to take this step. The Presbyterians have already inquired of us whether we would be willing to sell them our buildings in Zoar. But we did not dare act on our own authority in this matter. What is to be done with this post will be for this year's Delegate Synod to decide. Our mission at Red Springs and Morgan is presently in good condition. It has shown gratifying growth over the past three years. During this period 58 children and 26 adults were baptized. 17 children and 12 adults were confirmed. Our mission has 59 communicant members. In the fall of last year, diphtheria broke out in our school. But by God's grace no one succumbed to this dangerous disease, although the quarantine cost us nearly $200.00. Otherwise the state of health at our mission station was good. It should also be mentioned that the Stockbridge Reservation was divided up among the Indians about a year ago. Some of the Indians are unfortunately now selling their land to whites, squandering the money, and thus becoming utterly impoverished. Others, however, remain living there and say they will never move away. To be sure, should a considerable number leave this area, church attendance and our enrollment would decrease significantly as a result. But our mission would not thereby be at stake. We would then, as the sister synod of the Norwegians also does, have to bring in children from other reservations and continue our mission in this way. We now ask the Reverend Synod, in connection with the above report, for the following: 1. That it approve the course of action taken by its Commission regarding the erection of the farm building. 2. That it decide whether the farm building should be faced with brick. This would cost about $500.00 to $800.00. It should be done because rain and frost are now damaging the walls both inside and out. 3. That it decide whether the Zoar station should henceforth again be staffed with a missionary or, should the opportunity offer,